Saturday 25 December 2021

Nachmeleny Czech Double IPA

From the Pivovar Godspeed series of Czech-style beers comes Nachmeleny Czech Double IPA. The 8% beer from Toronto’s Godspeed Brewery is sold in 355mL cans with the majority of the copy written in Czech, but the Godspeed website explains the historical importance of hop-picking under communism and how it remains a “popular summer gig in Bohemia.” The beer is made using Saaz and Kazbeck hops. It’s a clear, bright copper ale with a modest cap of off-white head.

Nachmeleny has, for a strong beer, a refined and restrained aromatic profile. To my nose, there were floral notes as well as a whiff of cranberry. However, where I might have expected a tart flavour, instead I found a quirky blend of earthiness, pepper, white wine, and a touch of baked apple. The beer proved quite hoppy and the floral bitterness really lingered on the palate.

Beers like Nachmeleny make me a happy lad—I love the double IPA strength and format, but I can sometimes get a bit tired of the same, familiar flavour profiles: pine, citrus, and tropical fruit (I love ‘em all, but a departure is a treat). This beer was strong and well made, but offered something a bit different. The aroma could have been a bit more robust, but otherwise, these were some quality suds.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment