Friday 1 January 2021

Meet the Porters Cherry Porter

  I ended up with eight 473mL cans of Meet the Porters Cherry Porter as a result of a mix-up. I actually ordered eight cans of the original expression of Meet the Porters, but it was the cherry version that arrived. Despite the fact that I’m not wild about cherry flavour, I decided to keep ‘em. The beer, built in Toronto by Great Lakes Brewery, is a 6.5% dark ale. It’s a member of GLB’s 7 Barrel Series.


MtPCP is a handsome, nearly black ale topped with a loose tan head. It has malty aromatics with a shade of coffee and a tart cherry edge. The flavour showcases cherry, but it isn’t overpowering. Rather, it’s a faint accent that isn’t unpleasant, though i did find it just a touch medicinal. Because the cherry flavour is restrained, the underlying porter is able to stretch its legs a bit. The beer moves from malt to bitter, and it closes with a bit of tartness.

Meet the Porters Cherry Porter is a beer I’d doubtfully have bought for myself, and I’m not unhappy that it fluked its way into my fridge (and it should be noted that GLB’s customer service was excellent—the decision to keep these cherry beers was definitely mine!). I didn’t love it, but I managed to plow through all eight pretty quickly, so that goes to show I didn’t hate it. Other than a slightly medicinal tendency, it wasn’t half bad. Compared to some of my favourites from GLB, though, this one wasn’t a winner.

Rating: 6.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment