Sunday 19 July 2020

Junction Stout

Junction Stout is a low ABV stout from the team at Toronto’s Junction Craft Brewery. The 4.3% ale comes in Junction’s nondescript 473mL cans that always make me think of a ballot. The beer inside is near black and almost opaque, under a slim layer of off-white foam. According to the copy on the JCB website, the beer is a “Nitro Dry Irish stout”.

J.S. has an opulent aroma, built around notes of roasted malt, chocolate, and good quality diner coffee. The mouthfeel is thin, but smooth, though not as creamy as the best dry Irish stouts tend to be—given the nitro delivery, I’d have expected a more gentle effervescence and a correspondingly velvety texture. The flavour profile begins with rich malt and progresses to a surprisingly robust bitter finish that pairs coffee elements with a hint of cocoa.

I dig Junction Stout. I think it is a pretty good interpretation of a classic style, and I’ll gladly buy it again. I’d have liked a creamier, fuller texture, but I think the flavour profile is spot on, and substantial for such a low-octane ale.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment