Friday 17 May 2019

Starboard New England IPA

According to the copy on the 473mL can of Starboard New England IPA, the 5.4% ale is “partially filtered”. Given the amount of chunky sediment that poured out along with the hazy orange-gold liquid, I’d say the beer isn’t partially filtered nearly enough. Starboard comes from Lake of Bays Brewing Co. in Baysville, Ontario. It contains 40 IBUs and is brewed using a combination of Magnum, Citra, and Mosaic hops. Aside from the unpalatable chunks, Starboard poured with a thin layer of white head.


To my nose, Starboard had a primarily juicy aroma, with a whiff of floral perfume as a subtext. The flavour is big on citrus, with a sweet to bitter progression. The back end is slightly hoppy, but pretty underwhelming for an IPA.

As I understand it, a New England IPA should be hazy and juicy. This one struggled to deliver uniform haze. The chunks are, in my opinion, evidence of a significant flaw in this beer. Like Sparklepuff, another recent Ontario craft beer that has struggled with chunkies, this is an ale with potential, but which can’t garner a favorable review until it gets this aspect of its house in order. Added to that, the beer is under strength and not quite as bitter as I’d have liked. I’m willing to give this beer another chance, but I was disappointed with my first impression.

Rating: 5.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment