Wednesday 26 December 2018

Shacklands Passionfruit Wit

On the penultimate day of September, I figured the time for fruit flavoured wheat beers would be done for the year. However, the day was sunny and the temperature was pretty close to hot, so I cracked myself a 650mL bottle of Shacklands Brewing Co.’s Passionfruit Wit.


The 4.9% alcohol brew poured dull gold. It was hazy under a fluffy but quickly receding cloud of white head. The beer had a yeasty nose that was motivated by floral and citrus elements. Unexpectedly, the flavour was quite tart, with juicy fruit notes competing with funky sour sass. The finish had the most evidence of passion fruit, with a profile reminiscent of Sumol—sweet and tangy.

At first, the unlooked for tartness was a bit off-putting. However, as I leaned into the beer, I found myself more amenable to its charms. Indeed Shacklands’ Passionfruit Wit proved to be a welcome companion on a summery September day.

Rating: 7.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment