Tuesday 17 July 2018

Electric Mud: Radelmüeller’s Ghost Märzen


I dragged the Bitter Wife on a transit journey across town to visit the Muddy York Brewing Co., a place I’ve long been hankering to try. Given the amount of time spent getting there, I was pretty determined to try everything they had, but sadly I only had 90 minutes before closing time.

My kicked off my visit with a 12oz pour of their Radelmüeller’s Ghost Märzen, a 5.2% alcohol tribute to J.P. Radelmüeller (I always thought it was "Rademüeller"), the Toronto lighthouse keeper who was murdered and whose ghost allegedly haunts the Toronto Island Lighthouse.

The beer had a gorgeous amber colour with just a hint of haze and a thin, white head. The lager had a malt and biscuit nose with a bit of earthiness. It tasted both warm and crisp, with some toasted malt notes, and a back end with a slightly peppery uptick.

Märzens are not a style I’ve had a lot of experience with, but I thought the MYBU’s take had some class. It was a bit thin-bodied for my taste, but the crispness was welcome and the flavour was agreeable.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10.
For another take on the same theme, see my review of Rademuller's Refusal.

No comments:

Post a Comment