Monday 28 May 2018

Hop Shop Imperial IPA

Hop Shop Imperial IPA was my first brush with a brew from Red Arrow Brewing Company, as well as my first beer upon arriving for a quick trip to Victoria. At 7.5%, it’s a bit low octane for an Imperial, but the rowdy 95 IBUs make up for that.

A hazy walnut brew, Hop Shop pours with a thin cover of eggshell head. It has a rich aroma built around a dank hoppy foundation, with some potent brown sugar leanings along for the ride. The flavour is equally rich, with toasted brown sugar backed with an earthy bitterness.

Hop Shop was an unusual IIPA, with its relatively low percentage and toasty sweet front end. While it was a bit off style, this was a really enjoyable beer. I’d have classed it as a strong English-style IPA rather than an Imperial, but I’d definitely buy it again.

Big cheers to my father-in-law for sourcing this one for me. It was a beaut!

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment