Friday 19 May 2017

The Barn Raiser Country Ale

My good pal W.F.M. recently remarked to me that The Barn Raiser Country Ale by Oast House Brewers was currently his fave Ontario brew. He was chagrined that I hadn't reviewed it yet, so I rushed out and bought a 473mL can of the 5% alcohol ale from Niagara-on-the-Lake. According to the Oast House website, what I had in my hands was an American Pale Ale.

A clear, brassy brew, The Barn Raiser poured with a lovely but brief off-white head. My nose was greeted by a faint but enticing aroma that balanced fresh grains against a slight fruit flush. I found the beer to be crisp and refreshing, with a dry, hoppy character. Its flavour was grainy and bitter, with a clever yeastiness.

While I might not rank The Barn Raiser as my favourite Ontario beer, it was certainly one that I enjoyed quite a bit. It tasted fresh and was pleasantly refreshing, while managing a decent hops crackle.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment