Sunday 7 May 2017

Green Island New England IPA

Another juicy and fruity IPA from Fredericton's TrailWay Brewing Co. is Green Island New England IPA (which I took to be a Vermont-style IPA), a 6% alcohol brew billed as having "pungent tropical fruit". Sold in 473mL cans, I found Green Island to be, in many respects, very similar to Hu Jon Hops and Rype, two other TrailWay beers that I reviewed while in Fredericton for a funeral. All three had a similar look--hazy and milky orange-gold with a white head--and all three packed nice and assertive fruit-forward noses. While I enjoyed all three, if I were a creative at TrailWay, I'd be trying to diversify the portfolio a bit more.


I found Green Island to have a somewhat resinous strand to its flavour, as well as citrus and pineapple notes. The finish has some pretty nice hoppy elements, but I also found it to have a faintly chemical air that left me a bit nonplussed.

While Green Planet proved quite similar to two of its other TrailWay Brewing siblings, I found that compared to Rype and Hu Jon, it was the least compelling and well-crafted. Not a bad beer, but not the one TrailWay should be crowing loudest about.

Rating: 6.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment