Tuesday 21 March 2017

The Starter

The Starter is billed as a "light IPA with notes of citrus fruits". The 4.8% alcohol brew comes from Rockwood, Ontario, where it is nurtured by Four Fathers Brewing Co. It's sold in 473mL cans that uses a cute sports analogy to describe the liquid within. That liquid proved to be an attractive auburn brew with a dense off-white helmet of head. Much darker and richer looking than I expected.

With a modest bouquet that suggests citric bitterness, I found myself salivating at the prospect of trying this stuff. Its got a nice, sizable flavour for its size, well outstripping the aroma with notes of grapefruit riding high atop a roasted malt podium. It finishes dryly, with a hoppy crackle.

Having never sampled anything from Four Fathers, I had no idea what to expect from The Starter. Turns out, it was really quite good. A beer I'll doubtlessly be adding to my repertoire in the months to come.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment