Friday 31 March 2017

Rype

Rype is billed as a "golden citrus rye pale ale". It comes from the north side of town in Fredericton, New Brunswick, where it's brewed by TrailWay Brewing Co. I purchased myself a pair of 473mL cans of the 5% alcohol ale fresh from the brewery.

The beer proved to be a hazy, slightly milky orange grog. Through a thin covering of white head comes a very agreeably juicy, fruit aroma. The flavour kicks off with a bright tangerine zest. The back end remains citrus-tinged, but takes a slightly hoppier turn.

The beer has a lovely taste profile and I like it a lot, but there are two modest downsides. Firstly, the mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side of the ledger. Secondly, there wasn't quite the degree of rye warmth that I'd have liked: I don't need my rye ales to crackle, but I'd have liked a bit more of a rye reminder--a "ryeminder"--than the hearty grain is present. All told, Rype is a very good beer. Fredericton's beer scene is taking off, and, if this stuff is any indication, TrailWay will be joining the leading lights in the city's brewing community.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment