Wednesday 15 March 2017

Doc Perdue's Bobcat West Coast Red Ale

According to the legend set out on 473mL cans of Doc Perdue's Bobcat West Coast Red Ale, the eponymous doctor was the veterinarian in Blythe, Ontario in the latter decades of the 19th Century. The man had a fondness for drink that once manifested itself in his returning to a watering hole, after having been cut off, with an ornery bobcat, and threatening to unleash it on the proprietors if he were not promptly served his preferred libation. Local colour--I love it!

Doc Perdue comes from Blythe Brewing & Distilling Inc. (seemingly also known as Cowbell Brewing Co.) It's a 5.5% alcohol red ale that hazily pours ruddy copper, with a thick, cream-toned head. At just 30 IBUs, the "West Coast" in the name had me fearing that Blythe and Co. might be a bit of a liberty.

Dr. Perdue is an ale with a healthy nose comprised of citrus notes and roasted malts. Its flavour is similarly situated, with a modest twist of lime and grapefruit, settled comfortably atop a malty base. Had I not seen it in print, I'd never have believed that this brew had just 30 IBUs--it gives the impression of a much more bitter offering.

All told, I found this flavourful red ale to be quite solid. In fact, it had a slightly spicy note that almost made me think it was a rye ale. I've tried (and enjoyed) Absent Landlord from the same brewer, but I found that Doc Perdue was a considerably stronger offering from a brewery that is now well on my radar.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment