Thursday 27 August 2015

"19-33" Queens Lagrrr!

1933 was the year the Volstead Act was repealed, marking the end of America's failed experiment with Prohibition. 19-33 37th St. is also the address of the SingleCut Beersmiths' brewpub. Both are reflected in the name of SingleCut's "19-33" Queens Lagrrr!, a 5.4%, 45 IBU pilsner. 19-33 was a strikingly clear, modestly carbonated, and came out of the tap with a dense, snowy head. Pints at the brewbup were only $4!  For my last review during my visit to SingleCut, I convinced my lovely wife to participate in a co-review.

The Missus described 19-33 thusly: "It's like you're bringing in the fishing boat on a clear sea at the end of the day, but there's an overcast sky and you get the sense of having just missed something terrible--that's what I think it tastes like. I like it, but it makes me uneasy." She noted that the aroma was almost salty--oceanic, even. In addition, she noted that it had a quick, crisp taste that was swallowed up by a hoppy back end.

She gave it a 7.0 out of 10.


For me, I found the nose to be grassy, with some hop tang and a slight allusion to dryness. Significantly bitter for a pale lager, this brew was crisp initially, and journeyed into a pilsner desert where hops got a bit more play.

It was a very Czech feeling mug of beer. There was a sweet to dry movement, and it was quite drinkable, though perhaps a bit less accessible than some other pilsners (which I kinda liked). A touch more grain in the early going might have evened things out.

I gave it a 7.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment