Saturday 14 March 2015

Square Nail Pale Ale

From Peterborough, Ontario comes the whimsically named Square Nail Pale Ale. At 5.5% alcohol, this west coast style pale ale comes in a 473mL can that isn't particularly eye-catching. The beer, however, looks perfect--a stunning chestnut colour that pours with a fluffy white head that just won't quit. It's brewed by The Publican House Brewery.


In terms of aroma, things are on the faint side, with a mild twist of bitterness and caramel wafting through the the foam, but not much else. Square Nail is a nicely crafted pale ale, but it's no standout for the style. I was pulling for that classic west coast bitterness, dripping with citrus and pine. Instead, I got a nicely balanced effort with hops and malts working together to create a pretty enjoyable little ale. It's not memorable or unique, but definitely nice. The best feature is a dry, bitter finish that has a subtle caramel lift.


Square Nail is a fine beer. One I'd definitely buy again. In fact, I've ordered it in pubs several times after writing this review, and purchased cans a few more times. It never leaves a strong impression fer it or agin it, but I never regret my purchase. I will definitely be keeping my eye out for more offerings from The Publican House. I see a lot of potential there.

Rating: 7.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment