Thursday 2 October 2014

Natural Selections 6-Pack, Volume 2--Bear Paw Honey Lager

Whistler, British Columbia's Whistler Brewing Company is the source of Bear Paw Honey Lager,  a clear copper lager graced with a fluffy, off-white head and brewed with BC honey. It has a sweet fragrance that drips with nice honey attitude. The flavour, too, is all about the sweet stuff. Initially I was worried that the honey was overdone, but I quickly changed my mind. It actually makes for a nice, slow-sipping mug.  Other than the honey, there isn't much to write about. The underlying amber lager is little more than a honey showcase with some gentle roasted malt leanings. The mouthfeel is a touch syrupy, the finish sweet, and there is almost no bitterness.

I'd definitely drink this stuff again, but only one in a session and definitely early in the night, due to its thick body and sweet nature. It's far too sweet for drinking multiples and after a few pints, I suspect that this stuff could be pretty cloying.

Whistler's Bear Paw Honey Lager comes in a 330mL bottle with a neat shape that features a feasting bear on the label. It contains 5% alcohol. This was my second experience with Whistler--I also reviewed their interesting Paradise Valley Grapefruit Ale.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment