Tuesday 14 October 2014

Houblon Chouffe

Houblon Chouffe comes from Brasserie D'Achouffe, in Achouffe, Belgium. I had a glass on tap at a beer bar that I've commuted past almost every day for the last several years, but never checked out until my streetcar was short-turned and there wasn't another coming by for ages. According to the tap list, this stuff is a Dobbelen IPA Tripel and contains a weighty 9% alcohol.

A hazy golden ale that arrived topped with a bright white head, but which subsided quickly. The aroma has big apple notes, considerable yeastiness, and rugged hop presence. This is a very easy-drinking strong beer. It has lots of Belgian elements--yeast, fruit notes, boozy blast. But it also has a spicy hop flavour that really drew me in.  Finish is very dry.

Fascinating little brew. A bit more hops aggression would have intrigued me further.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment