Saturday 9 August 2014

Yellow Wolf Imperial IPA


Yellow Wolf Imperial IPA comes from Portland, Oregon's Alameda Brewing Company. It's sold in wildly unattractive 650mL bottles and contains a heady 8.2% alcohol. It's a murky orange-gold colour that pours beneath a luxuriously thick, off-white head.

Y.W. has a very boozy, swampy hop aroma. Similarly, above all, its taste is boozy. It begins with malty, raisin notes. The finish is reasonably hoppy, boozy, resinous, but also really not my style. The beer is very strong and very flavourful, but not, in my opinion, in a good way. I found it to be over-sweet and a little stanky. It lacks flavour and subtlety. It will, however, get you really drunk really quick.

Unfortunately, this is an Imperial IPA that I wouldn't revisit. I've subsequently read some favourable reviews online, but I just don't see it. I wanted citrus or pine, but didn't really get much of either. I do wonder, however, whether the beer might have been a little old or unfresh.

Rating: 5.5 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment