Tuesday 13 May 2014

Hogtown Ale

Hogtown Ale comes from Hogtown Brewers, out of Toronto, Ontario. It's a Kölsch-style ale that comes in a pretty snazzy 473mL can emblazoned with "Toronto's Neighbourhood Beer" around the top--a pretty bold statement, since there are a lot of neighbourhoods in this town. It contains 5% alcohol and pours a clear, pale, buttery golden colour.  It's crowned with a shock of white head and contains considerable carbonation.


I've had my eye on this stuff for a while and sampled it in a few different barrooms around town, but I had never managed to draw up a review until I saw it in the provincial liquor store the other day. It has a fresh, summery aroma with notes of grain and a faint whiff of toastiness, too. For a pale, golden brew, there's a good deal of flavour hanging out in this stuff. It is, at times, grainy, toasty, and, at the finish, respectably bitter. Additionally, there's a subtle butterscotch streak running through the middle, giving it an understated sweetness.


A really nice beer, I'm sure I'll be revisiting it from time to time.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.



No comments:

Post a Comment