Saturday 19 October 2013

Cobblestone Stout

Ontario, the province that I have chosen to make my home, has a number of excellent breweries and is home to dozens of quality beers.  One style that doesn't seem to exist in rich abundance, however, is stout. There just don't seem to be that many quality stouts coming out of Ontario. Sure, I've tried a few good ones (such as Black Creek Stout, Trafalgar's Smoked Oatmeal Stout, Hockley Stout, and Amsterdam's Two Fisted Stout), and I'm sure there are others that I haven't found, but compared to lagers, I.P.A.s, and even pumpkin beers, stouts are in short supply. Out of this veritable stout desert comes Mill St. Brewery's Cobblestone Stout. Cobblestone is a smooth and amply palatable dry stout.

Cobblestone hails from Toronto, Ontario. It's sold in 440mL cans, which to my mind is an unusual size. It contains a light 4.2% alcohol. It is a black ale with copper highlights and topped with a firm, dense tan head. The aroma has a chocolate milk vibe. The flavour is smokey, almost peaty, with some cocoa notes. The can describes a "deep roasted smokey palate", which I found apt.

This beer is delightfully smooth and easy-drinking, but with sufficient body and flavour. I genereally prefer my stouts to be a bit more full and robust, but Cobblestone really gets the job done in a mellow, low gravity sort of way.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment