Friday 14 September 2012

Radlermass Lemonade Lager

This curious specimen comes from the Waterloo Brewing Co. of Waterloo, Ontario. According to the label, this beery concoction that blends lemon soda and brewski originated in a German tavern, when the innkeeper was running low on beer just as his establishment was overrun with a fleet of cyclists. I have no idea whether this is a true story, but I like it.

Radlermass is sold in 473mL cans. It contains 4.8% alcohol. A clear, yellow-gold colour, Radlermass is heavily carbonated and topped with a layer of white head. It looks just like a conventional pale lager.  However, one sniff and you realize that an average lager this is not--the aroma is fiercely lemony. A beer taste is plainly present, but it is easily dominated by a strong lemon flavour--one that is quite sweet rather than tart.

The Radlermass Lemonade Lager has a quirky flavour. It's undeniably refreshing, and I suspect it would be dynamite on a hot day. It wasn't my favourite, but it's most certainly worth a try.

Rating: 7.0 out of 10.

2 comments:

  1. Ed -

    It seems there are few hot days left to try out this beer (maybe that means it'll be on sale?!). I've been disappointed with the lemonade/beer mixes so far (Mill Street, blah) so I feel that this may be more up my alley. Plus, 7 is my lucky number.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like it, Kelly. It's the only radler I've ever tried, so I didn't have much to compare it to, but it seems like a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete