Friday 31 August 2012

Pearl Street Double IPA

Took a great road trip in May to Buffalo, NY with Partner and another couple.  One of our best stops on the whirlwind journey was the Pearl Street Grill and Brewery.  A multi-level brewpub with good eats and a nice set of patios, the real highlight of Pearl was their brews. They had a great stock of regular beers, plus a nice array of seasonals--I had a hard time choosing.

I ordered a Lake Effect Pale Ale, because the description sounded great.  My buddy ordered himself a Double IPA.  When they arrived, it took me about two sips to realize that we'd been crossed up.  My brew was so hoppy there was no way it could be a pale ale.  Impressed, I opted to keep it.

The Double IPA was a clear copper colour with a cream coloured head. It had a beautiful hop-forward aroma that blended caramel and citrus. The flavour was forcefully hoppy, with some sweet notes of caramel. Hops was the order of the day, from the beginning through the puckeringly bitter aftertaste. A big, bold brew, the Pearl Street Double IPA is well worth looking out for.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment