Tuesday 1 May 2012

Fin du Monde

Unibroue strikes again!  Fin du Monde is a lovely golden ale from Chambly, Quebec that I reviewed with my brother on Superbowl Sunday.  It contains a badass 9.0% alcohol. It's sold in 341mL bottles that have a beautiful label featuring a map of la Belle Province.

Fin du Monde has a cloudy, honey gold colour.  It has lots of carbonation and is topped by a thick white head.  It has a heavily yeasty aroma underscored with notes of sweet fruit.  It has a malty, yeasty sourdough flavour, with a nice dose of apricot. The aftertaste is malty but drops off quickly. The substantial alcohol content is barely discernible, but I was certainly aware of it after I stood up.

This is a great beer: bold, complex, and potent. Personally, I find it a touch too yeasty and too potent to make Fin du Monde an everyday beer, but it's wonderful once in a while.


Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment