Monday 21 May 2012

Big Rock Traditional Ale

Traditional Ale is one of the premier brews from Calgary's Big Rock Brewery. It comes in at 5% alcohol. I enjoyed a pint on tap at a local pub with my favourite newlyweds in the afterglow of their nuptials.  Big Rock's Traditional Ale arrived a brownish, ruby colour. It didn't have a whole lot of head, carbonation, or lace.

Trad had a nice aroma that is malty and sweet.  Its flavour is considerably full-bodied, encompassing notes of molasses, toffee, and roasted nuts.  The brew is malt focused, though a little bit of bitterness hangs out near the back end.

This is a nice brew for all seasons. It's a reliable if not exceptional brown ale.  I'd like a bit more hop bitterness to round out the flavour, but I'm not going to complain, because I've never been disappointed with a Traditional.  I'm pleased to see this brew showing up in more public houses and liquor stores nationwide.  You should probably try some.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment