Thursday 10 November 2011

Weiss/Wit/Wheat Week-Mother Pucker's Ginger Wheat Beer

At a local beer bar the other day, I had occasion to sample Mother Pucker's Ginger Wheat Beer.  I ordered a pint on tap.  According to the beer list, the MPGW measured in at 5.4%.  It is brewed on site at C'est What? in Toronto.  It poured clear and ruddy--really surprising for what is ostensibly a wheat ale.  The head was really thin, but dense.  There was moderate lace and almost no evidence of carbonation.
If I didn't know that this was a ginger flavoured beer, I would never have been able to identify it from the scent.  It smelled just faintly of ginger, and also slightly yeasty.  The flavour was extremely mild.  Only some mild ginger tones. and very little else to report.  This beer had a ridiculously thin mouthfeel.  So thin that I am concerned the keg I was served from might have gone flat.

Mother Pucker's Ginger Wheat Beer was interesting in theory, but not terribly well executed.  It was refreshing, but far too thin.  The ginger taste was good, but insufficient.  All in all, it was a bit of a disappointment.  C'est What? has so many excellent choices, I wish I'd gone with something else.

Rating: 5.0 out of 10--However, due to the chance that the keg was off, I will revisit this beer in the future and update my review if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment