Thursday 24 November 2011

Tecate

For me, Tecate is an interesting study in branding and brand loyalty.  As you'll see from my review, I recognize that Tecate is an easy-drinking if unimpressive macro-brew with limited character.  Still, it frequently finds its way into my fridge and I enjoy it with great relish.  The reason that I have such a boatload of goodwill toward this otherwise ordinary brew is that a few years ago, while working a summer gig in Albuquerque, New Mexico, I went on an extremely memorable camping trip in a lush oasis in the middle of the desert with my good friend Raph.  For this trip, Tecate was our brew of choice.  Ever since, I've always been forgiving to Tecate and its snazzy red cans.
Tecate is produced by the Cervezeria Cuauhtemoc Moctezuma in Monterrey, Mexico.  It is sold in 355mL cans and contains 4.5% alcohol.  The can simply says "cerveza", but I guess this brew is classed as a pale lager.  It pours a pale straw colour and evidences loads of carbonation.  Tecate is crowned with a lively, bright white head and leaves behind a slight amount of lace.  There is a slight aroma of corn and wheat.  Tastewise, the brew begins with an initial flavour of malt and corn.  This gradually gives way to a slightly bitter, tinny finish.  The body is quite thin and watery, but is wonderfully refreshing and thirst-quenching.
This isn't a bad brew.  It tastes fine and it's very easy-drinking.  It just doesn't have a lot character or pizazz.  Still, every few months, I get a craving for it.  I buy a couple and relive some good times.  What can I say, I'm sentimental.

Rating: 6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment